Sunday, July 1, 2007

The Art of Being Human

Being just an ordinary human being wandering along the pathway of life, I’ve evolved this simple philosophy to guide me.

To affirm that I am proud to be a member of the human race; to recognize that, regardless of colour, class or creed , man’s destiny is my destiny, that only as we learn to live together will we move forward together.

To accept life as it is and go along with it, bravely trying to change what needs to be changed and serenely adapting myself to what cannot be changed.

To realize that no experience in human life is alien to me and my responsibility is to meet whatever happens to me with fortitude and courage.

To admit that , being human, I am bound to make mistakes, but to make as few as possible and try to avoid making the same mistake twice.

To recognize the frailties and foibles of human nature and to try to be everlastingly patient, forgiving and understanding.

To share my courage and hope with others and keep my fears, heartaches and disappointments to myself.

To go my way quietly and humbly and not worry too much about mysteries. I cannot explain.

To do my best here and now let the future take care of itself.

To be grateful for the precious gift of life with its limitless possibilities. To glory in the power of human beings to rise to great heights and to outdo themselves in miraculous works.

To confront the inevitable fact that I share with all human beings a common end: that someday Death, the kind of old nurse, will rock us all to sleep, so we should help each other while we can.

To admit that, being human, I often fail to live up to my own philosophy, but to keep trying nevertheless.

Written by (Wilfred Peterson) in 1960.